Smoky Hazelnut and Black Bean Burgers
by Toni Fiore author the VegEZ Video Cookbook
Burgers made from scratch are easy, delicious, and economical. Mushrooms and hazelnuts give these patties their rich, hearty flavor and crunchy texture. These freeze well, grill nicely, and offer “fast food” with a healthy twist.
Serves 4-6 Time: 40 minutes
1. Toast the bread and using a processor, chop into coarse bits. Place into a large bowl. Pulse hazelnuts in the food processor until coarsely chopped.
2. Heat a skillet on medium, add the chopped nuts, and carefully toast them, stirring or shaking frequently until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add toasted nuts to the bowl of crumbs and set aside.
3. Re-heat the skillet on medium and add 2 tablespoons of the oil. As soon as the oil is warmed, add the onions. Sauté for five minutes or until the onions are soft and glassy, then add the mushrooms and continue sautéing until the mushrooms brown, about 5-7 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and quickly pulse the cooked mushrooms and onions in the processor, before adding the drained beans, cilantro and all seasonings. Quickly pulse the mixture to retain some texture – you don’t want a paste.
5. Combine the vegetable-bean mixture with the nuts and breadcrumbs. Add water andusing your hands, mix until you’re able to form patties – this makes about 4 thick patties.
6. Re-heat your pan on medium, add 2 tablespoons of your remaining oil. Place burgers into the hot oiled pan and cook until golden brown – for best results these burgers should be cooked slowly, so lower the heat if needed.
Prepare buns with your favorite burger toppings, or serve on a bed of lettuce. Enjoy!
3 - 4 slices whole grain bread lightly toasted and coarsely processed (use oats for gluten-free)
1 cup hazelnuts, finely chopped and toasted
12 ounces crimini or baby bella mushrooms, coarsely chopped
4 - 6 tablespoons refined coconut or olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
15 ounce can of low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1 chipotle pepper in adobe sauce or 1 tablespoon of chipotle sauce
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 - 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 - 3 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons salt