Gyro Roasted Seitan
Seitan gets the gyro treatment oven roasted in a bracing marinade of olive oil, lemon juice, oregano and plenty of garlic.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a 9 x 13 x 2 inch ceramic or glass baking dish whisk together all the ingredients except the seitan.
2. Slice seitan into strips no thicker than 1/4 inch. Add to marinade and flip strips several times to coat completely. Set aside to marinate while oven is preheating.
3. Roast the seitan for 25 minutes, turning the strips frequently with long handled tongs. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
¼ cup lemon juice
3 tablespoons vegetable broth or white wine
3 tablespoons olive oil
5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon sea salt
10 ounces seitan
Seitan Gyro Roll Ups
Greek-themed street food at it’s finest! These toothsome sandwiches will satisfy serious cravings and if you already have a batch of seitan cutlets made can be pulled together quickly for hands-on weeknight dinners. While the seitan roasts it’s easy to prepare the rest of the sandwich ingredients.
Note: For the most authentic sandwich possible look for thick, no-pocket pita bread. This is typical of Greek-style pita, and this style of pita is sturdy and well suited for holding in all the heavy moist fillings of this rolled sandwich.
Makes 4 sandwiches
1 recipe Gyro Roasted Seitan, kept warm
1 recipe Cashew Yogurt Sauce
3 tablespoons chopped dill or 1 tablespoon dried dill.
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
4 Greek-style thick pita breads (see note)
4 teaspoons olive oil
Diced red ripe tomato
Thin slices of peeled cucumber
Thin slices of red onion
1. Keep the seitan warm by covering the dish with foil. Stir the chopped dill and the garlic into the Cashew Yogurt Sauce and set aside.
2. Brush each pita with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Preheat a cast iron skillet over high heat, then grill each pita for about 1 minute on each side until the bread is soft and the surface is gently toasted.
3. To assemble a sandwich, brush one side of a pita with a little cashew yogurt sauce. Fill with 1/2 cup or more as desired Gyro Roasted Seitan. Top with tomato, cucumber, and red onion. Drizzle on top more Cashew Yogurt Sauce as desired and roll the pita into a thick roll-up sandwich and eat immediately.
A few gyro twists include:
Add a few slices of Oven Fried Zucchini or Eggplant to the gyro along with the seitan.
Stuff a few french fried potatoes into the sandwich along with the seitan. It sounds crazy but it’s also crazy delicious!